top of page

FLF Meeting Notes 1-27-2023



Felton Library Friends Meeting Notes

January 27, 2023, 3:30-4:45

Felton Library Community Room


Facilitator: Jenn Mount Notetaker: Diane McCormick


Attendees: Nancy, Moana, Jenn, Michele, Diane, Marilyn, Beth, Donna, Valerie


Welcome and introductions.

Opening Question: What’s one thing you would like FLF to accomplish this year?

  • Book ID

  • Book Walk

  • Business Network - Community Based Program

  • Grow Leadership Team, Exploring new members

  • Teen Room complete

  • Discovery Park filled out in some of the undeveloped areas

  • Use the Community Room more

  • Quail Hollow Ranch / Felton Discovery Park - programming coordination

  • Another Art Program to pull the community into the building


Review agenda. Any additions?

Beth Algren - Introductions. Long term resident. Looking for new volunteer opps. Interests include: baking, hiking, gardening.


The Library World

Library Advisory Commission Jenn

  • Library System’s Strategic Plan - especially DEI

    • DEI - How to incorporate on a local level. Learn how we can understand the demographic? How can we attract the diverse populations who may not be using the library?

    • Donna mentioned that VWC used to distribute Kindergarten bags and library card apps

    • Is the Advisory Board itself diverse?

    • Opp for new board members as of April~ Likely a two year term

What’s happening in the system and at the Felton Branch? Phil and/orJackie couldn’t attend

- FEMA is here for a few weeks

- Jackie has taken on the teen group

FSCPL Michele

- Board Retreat. Jenn will be our rep.

- OCR - Book: Mary Coin.

- Feb 25, 2:30pm - Volunteers

- Sat.

- Refreshments: Cuc Water. Baked Goods - Diane to coordinate Refreshments & Volunteer list. Send out Google Doc List.

Michele has supplies: Cups, etc.

  • Who to Volunteer for Set up.


FLF Reports and Goals for 2023

Treasurer’s report Michele

$86k+. IN 20222,, over $6k in donations. Book Cart $2.5K. Comm Foundation: $91K

Park Team Nancy

Park Team: Michele, Jenn, Valerie, Donna, Marilyn

Once a month weeding and clean up (usually 1st Sat of the month)

Next Mtg Jan 28 - assess storm damage

Idea: Community Loom - public collaborative weaving

Improvements team Diane

Review protocols for tracking Friends purchases with Bruce--Yolande


Investigate options for bookshelves for Teen Room-Laura

Investigate replacing sliding closet door with locking option-Laura

Confirm tha John Fasolas of Running Electric is on county-approved list-Laura

Consider moving couch and chair with print upholstery to another branch-Laura

Order plexi display holders for slat walls.


Resend email with specifics for ordering plexi holders for slat walls-Phil

Get input from teens on lighting-Jackie

Send specifics on podium to Laura for approval-Jackie

Review signage systems and nonfiction areas for test-Jackie and Phil

Assist with signage as requested-Nancy


Get specifics and send requested purchases to Laura and Yolande for purchase with SCPL funds to be reimbursed by FLF-Michele

Meet with Discover Books rep to discuss possibility of book bin--Michele and Nancy

Community-led Learning Nancy

  • Move the events to 2 hours

  • Feb: Travel Sketching. (watch for sign up)

  • SLV Water: Challenges and Opportunities. Also a tour of the Kirby St. plant

  • Dahlia planting workshop

  • Seed planting with Renee Shepherd


Discussion

Our Community Reads event February 25 Refreshments All

  • Diane to send out sign up sheet for set up and snack/waters


Land acknowledgment statement Marilyn

- Feedback from the Tribal Contacts

- Editing underway

- Options for use:

- Library and Park plaques

- Website

- Letterhead

- Discuss with the Facilities Team how to post (plaque)

Book Cart support needed Michele

  • Need more books!

  • Email FLF and can coordinate book drops

  • Valerie can help with book cart supplies in first half of February

  • Modify Donations signage, to direct to FLF. (talk to staff)

  • Consider further discussion on book sales.

SCPL Request to FSCPL for funding laptops for use in STEAM programs: $22k

  • STEAM programming - Would we want to contribute?

  • $2.2k - Marilyn motion, Moana seconded. Motion passed unanamously

Donna: Note: County Parks

  • Committee formed to make a update to the Strategic Plan

  • Will include 2 community meetings.

  • Donna to bring needs of Discovery Park and Qual Hollow.


Next steps

Next meeting. February 24, 3:30-4:45









Opmerkingen


bottom of page