Dear Friends —
Please take note of the following regular events at SLV libraries this month, as well as two special Shakespeare programs at the Boulder Creek Branch.
- Felton Circle Time, Tuesdays 4-5, “Hear stories, sing songs! For the younger school-aged crowd.”
- Boulder Creek Storytime, Wednesdays 11-12:30, “Early literacy for children and their families.”
- The Felton Library Book Group, 3:00 Tuesday, May 24. Share your favorite books in the genre of historical fiction this month, and get recommendations from others. See feltonlibraryfriends.org for genres in coming months.
- The Reading in the Redwoods Book Group meets at 6:15 p.m. on the 4th Wednesday of the month — May 25th this month. Use side entrance to the branch. A copy of the current book can be picked up at the Felton branch. For more information call Eunice at 420-1345
- The Boulder Creek branch is sponsoring a performance of Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors on May 14, and a screening of an acclaimed documentary called Shakespeare Behind Bars on May 12. See details below.
Shakespeare in the Valley
On Thursday, May 12 at 7 pm, the Friends of the Boulder Creek Branch Library will show the moving and highly acclaimed documentary “Shakespeare Behind Bars” which premiered at the Sundance Festival in 2005. The film follows convicted felons at Kentucky’s Luther Luckett Correctional Complex as they rehearse for their production of “The Tempest”. The crew and entire cast come from the prison population and the film includes interviews with the participants as they struggle to reconcile their pasts and search for meaning in their roles in the play.
Then at 2 pm on Saturday, May 14, UCSC’s Shakespeare to Go troupe will perform Shakespeare’s “The Comedy of Errors” in the Library’s amphitheater. This talented troupe of UCSC drama students will present a 50-minute version of this farcical comedy, believed to one of Shakespeare’s earliest plays. It is the story of two sets of identical twins which were accidentally separated at birth and subsequently become involved in a series of wild mishaps based on mistaken identities, accusations of infidelity, theft and more.
Both events will take place at Boulder Creek Branch Library at 13390 W. Park Avenue, Boulder Creek. Admission is Free. For additional information, please call 427-7703.