Desired Outcomes:

  1. Understanding of our project to date
  2. Suggestions to retool the Bookplate program
  3. Lists of businesses to contact for support
  4. Volunteers for presentations and survey distribution
  5. Connections between team members

Facilitator: Judi Sherman Notetaker: Jim Mosher

Attendees: Carolyn Fitz, Galynn Firth, Jim Mosher, Joe Griffin, Judi Sherman, Laura Dolson, Laura Whaley, Linda Bixby, Linda Fawcett, Lynn Rouse, Marilyn Marzell, Mary Hammer, Michael Steel, Michele Mosher, Nancy Gerdt, Nancy Sherrod, Phyllis Taylor, Ron Sekkel, Supervisor Bruce McPherson.

Judi asked each participate to state one or two things he/she would like to see happen in the Community Room at the new library. Comments included:

  • Educational programs
  • Projects for kids that tie in to the park
  • Place to make people comfortable being part of the library community
  • Multigenerational activities that encourage older people to interact with young people
  • Music and art programs
  • A place where people could reflect on what is happening in the park
  • Outreach for elders
  • Area for reflection
  • Multigenerational programs
  • Family programs
  • Place to build community with a wide variety of programs
  • Outreach to the population that is less fortunate and in need of resources
  • Warm, welcoming, with appropriate furniture, artwork. Needs to feel vibrant.
  • Fun activities — how to do canning, cooking classes, seniors reading to children
  • Educational programs such as workshops on GREs, applications for government programs, computer trainings etc.
  • Teens — tutoring younger kids, partnerships with the schools
  • Open for all ages; community room is where you can get info on what is going on in the community. “The hub”
  • Laura Whaley is booking summer programs; big crowd acts into the Felton building; Jungle James, who brings lizards, snakes, etc., will be in community hall,. Would like to have such programs regularly all year.
  • Everyone will have a chance to have their dream to come true — we will have a facility to fulfill those dreams
  • Sketching classes

Project progress

Nancy reported that the County Parks Department is in the permitting process, which is on schedule. All relevant agencies have submitted comments to the department and staff is now working on them. Construction should begin late summer and park should be ready to open when the library opens — during the first quarter of 202.

CCC is coming at the end of April for two days to do invasive plant removal.

The Parks Department will be requesting proposals for developing the interpretive panels for the park in next two weeks.

Nancy reported that, according to Teall Messer, the architect, the library building construction is on schedule. The “punch list” should be finished by mid-November. It will take the library at least two months to move in. The current library will be closed during the moving in process and there may be a “book brigade” to move the books from the old building to the new building.

Michele, Nancy, and Diane represented FLF in the final design meeting with county and library staff. They reported being very pleased with furniture choices, including in the children’s area. Nancy should be able to bring visuals to the next meeting. The multi-purpose room will be jazzed up for teens. Good progress has been made on the interior design in last few weeks.

Laura reported that the original color for the outside of the building was a bright red but that a darker red is now being considered.

Capital Campaign and Treasurer’s Report

Michele reported that the “quiet phase” of the capital campaign has now been completed. As of March 31, a total of $272,935 has been pledged of which $227,535 has been received. The FLF restricted account at FSCPL had $187,188 s of the end of February; the March report has not yet been issued. The difference reflects the costs of the campaign plus a 5% fee from the Friends of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries, FLF’s parent organization.

Our Open House event represented the start of the community campaign, discussed below. We received $3,000 in donations at and shortly after the event.

Our goal is to raise $350,000 from the capital campaign and we are optimistic that the goal can be reached. With funding secured for the construction of the library and park, we anticipate the funds being used for enhancements to the library and park and for establishing a robust programming fund. One idea is to hire a teacher to provide after school homework help. This costs approximately $1,562 for one day a week during the school year. We will probably want days of homework help. .

Community Campaign

Michele circulated materials for the community campaign, including the new brochure. It has the following components.

“Keep it Growing fund: a one page sheet describing the “Keep It Growing” fund proposed by Renee Shepherd. This is separate from the library fund. Its purpose is to provide resources to insure ongoing upkeep of the garden portions of the park. Three volunteer upkeep work days a year is envisioned for the park, coordinated by the Parks Department.

Felton Park Legacy Program: Nancy and Michele circulated materials describing the Parks Department’s program for plaques on benches and trees.

Website: Michele reported that we are updating our website, which will reflect the various components of the community campaign.

Bookplate program: Nancy provided background about the bookplate program.  We decided not to do commemorative bricks as a means to acknowledge donations because this was not planned early in the construction process. Library staff suggested that we consider a bookplate program as an alternative. She circulated the bookplates designed by FLF member Nina Moore and materials describing how the program works. Michele explained that the bookplates will first go into books in Felton’s special collection, which will focus on environmental literacy. Once bookplates are in all the books in the collection, they will go to books in general circulation. The library cannot guarantee what book will receive a bookplate, so the donor cannot specify. The bookplate table at the open house did not sell many bookplates and the program has not “taken off.” One concern involved the cost of the bookplates — $100 for an adult bookplate and $50 for a children’s bookplate.

Discussion ensued about how to proceed with the bookplate program. Comments included:

  • Reduce costs by half — $50 for adult bookplate and $25 for children’s bookplate.
  • Promote the program at the Farmer’s Market
  • Use the bookplate as a “tender” for people who make campaign donations — a reward for donors rather than a purchase (or do both).
  • Promote to grandparents as a way to honor their grandchildren. An event on the annual grandparent’s day in September) could be a way to highlight such an effort.
  • Target organizations that focus on environmental literacy.
  • Carolyn Fitz offered to provide calligraphy for the bookplates.
  • A question was asked about the kinds of books that would receive a bookplate. Are there any standards? A donor might be uncomfortable to learn that his/her name on a bookplate is in a book that is objectionable in some way. What does the bookplate communicate in terms of the values of the donor?

Laura Whaley, Regional Manager, explained why we need to avoid having donors designate particular books for their bookplate. Donors can become particularly attached to books they have selected for their nameplates and become upset when they are damaged and will need to be replaced. Experience at our library system and others have shown that the program should not directly link donors and particular books.

Linda Fawcett and Laura Dolson volunteered to assist in developing a plan for moving forward with the bookplate program based on the discussion.

Soliciting donations from local businesses: Jessica offered to run a computer program that can identify all businesses in particular zip codes. It was agreed that this would be the first step in identifying businesses that might donate to the community campaign.

House parties: Michele reported that the leadership team would like to host a limited number of house parties, especially one in Bonny Doon. The purpose is to publicize the library/park project, build community support, and elicit donations for the community campaign. We need volunteers to host the parties and make invitation lists. A member of the FLF leadership team will make a presentation and FLF will provide resources to distribute at the party.

2019 Events

Michele reported that the Events Team was planning the following events for the remainder of this calendar year.

  • Table at the Farmers’ Market on opening day in May 5
  • Participate in the Felton Remembers parade May 25
  • Have a display and booth at the Redwood Mountain Faire June 1-2
  • Conduct a Wild Roots Community day September 28

Michele circulated a sign up sheet for participants to volunteer to assist in these activities.

Outreach Presentations

Nancy and Michele reported that the leadership team is interested in conducting outreach presentations to key groups in the service area, including the Docents at Henry Cowell State Park, Valley Women’s Club Environmental Committee, and the Arts Center. The presentations would be done in teams, with either Nancy or Michele taking the lead and a second person assisting.

This will deepen the knowledge of the project of those who participate and increase the number of people comfortable making presentations.

Community-led programming

Judi reported that a survey has been developed to determine people’s interest in various types of library programs and their willingness to lead specific types of programs . We received over 60 responses at the Open House with Phyllis has compiled. Library staff uploaded the survey to the Survey Monkey platform and we sent to FLF email list and NextDoor. An additional 79 people have filled out the on-line version as of April 3. Survey Monkey makes it easy to compile results.

Judi and Laura Whaley described the library’s community-led program plans, which are currently in the early development stage. In essence, the program involves having volunteers from the community conduct programming. Felton will be a pilot location for testing out the program, learning what works and how initial planning can be improved. FLF representatives have attended one meeting with library staff and the staff has had a meeting to develop concepts and basic design. A program in the Edmonton library system may serve as a model.

Judi emphasized that before we can do much planning we need to learn the roles and responsibilities of each of the partners. To this end, Judi will contact Susan Nemitz, the library director, to schedule a second meeting in May with FLF representatives.

Next Meeting: June 5, 2019 4pm – 5:30pm