Significant progress was made in 2008 towards a new library in Felton. We'll be sending you updates as they occur during this new year.
- The Felton Task Force, consisting of architect Teall Messer, members of Felton Library Friends, Library Administrators, and members of the Joint Powers Board began meeting regularly in July of 2008. Using input from public design workshops, the Task Force has made many core design decisions and is working towards a formal cost estimate for the project.
- The Library Joint Powers Board approved a resolution in April to set the Felton Library as the highest capital priority. No other money shall be spent on any other capital projects including upgrades, remodels, changes or new starts, until the new Felton branch is funded.
- Measure R passed in June, ensuring a permanent sales tax revenue stream. FLF members were active in the campaign. While Measure R does not fund the new Felton branch, its passage means that the Library Board can consider capital project funding possibilities.
- FLF presented two events to keep our mission in the public eye -- the 4th annual San Lorenzo Poetry Contest and the 2nd annual Felton Library Festival. A coming event, the performance of comic Paula Poundstone at the Rio Theater on February 7th, will bring FLF's message to the County at large.
- FLF members have provided input as the Library begins recruitment of a new Director. A December 16 Valley Post article covers the history of outgoing Director Turner in regard to the Felton branch.
How can you help?
- Visit our web site for current and background information: www.feltonlibraryfriends.org
- Volunteer to help with events by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Come to an FLF meeting the fourth Tuesday of each month, 4 p.m. at the Felton fire house.
- Make a tax deductible donation to support our advocacy work: Send a check payable to FSCPL to FLF, P.O. Box 1245, Felton, CA 95018.
- Attend our events and bring along your friends. The next event will be the Paula Poundstone performance at the Rio. Performance tickets can be purchased at www.pulseproductions.net. Felton Library Friends will host an after-show reception with Paula. Tickets for the after-show can be purchased by calling 831-420-5790.
"It's funny that we think of libraries as quiet demure places where we are shushed by dusty, bun-balancing, bespectacled women. The truth is libraries are raucous clubhouses for free speech, controversy and community. Librarians have stood up to the Patriot Act, sat down with noisy toddlers and reached out to illiterate adults. Libraries can never be shushed."
-- Paula Poundstone