Felton Library Friends (FLF) formed as a grassroots community organization in May 2005, following the threatened closure of the Felton branch. FLF has since become a chapter of the Friends of the Santa Cruz Public Libraries. The FLF Steering Committee has met monthly since 2005.
Our accomplishments include:
• 15-20 active participants in our monthly steering committee meetings and an email list of about 350 community members.
• Largest annual contribution of volunteer hours of all branch libraries.
• Sponsorship of numerous events for community building and fundraising, including the annual Felton Library Festival, the annual San Lorenzo Valley Poetry Contest and Reading, a performance by comic Paula Poundstone, a Bluegrass Festival, an Art Chair Auction, and a Western Swing Dance (all events are documented at the website).
Library Planning and Design
• Participation in the SCPL facilities master plan workshop in 2006 (Felton residents were the only participants other than administrators and staff).
• Significant participation of FLF members in the Felton Task Force, bringing design of a new branch to near-completion for submission to the County.
• Funded the Felton Task Force design consultation with Ruth Barefoot, San
Jose Way Manager of the San Jose Public Library System.
• Sponsorship of several design workshops open to the public, where resident input was solicited regarding the future Felton branch library. Research and distribution of articles and books related to library design.
• Visits by FLF members to libraries in San Francisco (4 branches), San Jose (4 branches, Morgan Hill, Castroville, Saratoga, and elsewhere to discuss design components and options. Slideshows of our visits were presented to the public and to the Felton Task Force.
Advocacy and Funding Exploration
• Significant contributions of time and money to the passing of Measure R (library sales tax measure) and Measure O (San Lorenzo Valley School District Library and Capital Projects measure); similar contributions to the unsuccessful State Library bond measure of 2008.
• Meetings with State Senator Joe Simitian, State Assemblymember Bill Monning, and former State Assemblymembers Fred Keeley and John Laird regarding funding possibilities for the Felton branch.
• PowerPoint presentation on the need for a Felton branch library (see www.feltonlibraryfriends.org) to the Joint Powers Board, the Felton Business Association, the Valley Women’s Club and the San Lorenzo Valley Rotary Club.
• A $5000 grant from the Community Foundation of Santa Cruz County in
2007-2008 for assistance with strategic planning.
• Using grant funds, consultation with the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library (two FLF Steering Committee workshops on advocacy), with consultants Jane Wade (political strategy), and Jo Kenny (grants and funding)
• Key participants in submitting a request to Congresswoman Anna Eshoo for fiscal year 2010 Federal funds for predevelopment funds for the library site in Felton.